is Coaching and how can it help?
Coaching is a modern and rapidly growing method for helping others to improve and develop, learn new skills, find personal success and manage life change and / or personal challenges. Coaching draws out rather than puts in. It develops rather than imposes. It reflects rather than directs. Coaching looks at where a person is now and helps them get to where they want to be. It is about unlocking a person’s potential to maximise performance in a supportive and motivating environment.
“It is not surprising that so many are turning to coaching and mentoring to improve performance,” says Dr John McGurk, CIPD adviser, Learning and Talent. “When budgets are tightened, it’s a relatively inexpensive way to develop staff, and it also has the benefit of being tailored to an organisation’s specific needs. As well as this, coaching has great scope to improve employee engagement, empower people and boost morale at a time of great uncertainty. “
(CIPD Report, The Value and Benefits of Coaching to an Organisation and its Individuals)
An extract from a Coaching at Work Survey by The Chartered Management Institute states “An overwhelming 93% of managers believe that coaching should be available to ALL employees regardless of seniority.” The CIPD study shows that coaching is increasingly popular as a means of promoting learning and development. Their training and development survey also indicates that coaching is almost universally accepted as a method that delivers tangible business benefits. 96% of respondents valued coaching as an effective way to promote learning in organizations.
The headline findings in the Chartered Management Institute Coaching at Work Survey were:
* 85% reported that coaching increased staff morale
* 80% said coaching increases responsibility on the part of the learner
* 82% said not everyone will make a good coach
* 3% said coaching was a waste of resources
* 5% said it was another fad
* 3% said coaching was too time consuming
Benefits to the Business:
- more productive and fulfilled staff
- a highly motivated workforce
- staff feel valued as individuals as they are given the opportunity to focus on themselves
Benefits to the Coachee:
- staff can think through challenges and issues which may be preventing them from performing to their very best
- individuals commit to take action to achieve their goals
- they fulfill their potential for the benefit of themselves and the business
- staff increase in confidence and in their ability to achieve
We have implemented successful coaching programmes within organisations through a programme of Coaching Skills Training, coupled with one-to-one coaching to Team Leaders, Managers and Senior Executives, led by a fully accredited coach with the Association for Coaching.
"Minds are like parachutes. They function best when they are open”.
“The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.”